Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 11.03.19 | Adeja








Brief biography (profession, hobbies, passions, etc.): *
Hello! My name is Adeja. First and foremost, I am a carnival enthusiast! Carnival is my vice. In order to afford this expensive addiction, I work at one of the top 5 banks in Canada as a Business Analyst. I graduated from Ryerson University in Toronto with a bachelor of commerce degree in business management. I was born in Canada to a Dominican (not republic) mother and a Jamaican father.
How and when did you first start playing mas? *
I used to attend carnival as a child with my grandpa as a spectator. I loved seeing the pretty costumes and the hearing the music. As I grew up I wanted to play but I was very conscious of my body, which held be back from playing for years. In 2015 I decided to let all that fear go, and decided to play mas in Toronto and I haven't looked back since. It was the most liberating and freeing experience of my life. I am in love with that feeling.
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
I would definitely say Carnival Tuesday in Trinidad with Machel singing Soca Kingdom live on the truck beside us, rum in my hand, confetti in the air is the best carnival experience I have had to date. It was an amazing experience.
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
COMFORTABLE SHOES. I cannot stress that enough. Honestly if your feet are burning you, you cannot have fun. Definitely invest in some gel insoles to save you that stress that I had to learn the hard way. Also I always have a little wristlet or backpack with some hand sanitizer, napkins, powder, and a mirror. Just in case.
Describe your perfect mas experience:
My perfect mas experience involves playing in an organized band that cares about their masqueraders. No stormers, good food and drinks, and good MUSIC. I don't want to hear the same 5 songs all day long.
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
One thing that I always want to share with people is that playing mas is not a competition about who has the best body, who is the prettiest, or anything superficial like that. It's a day for us to celebrate and embrace our culture. It's a day to be together with people in unity and enjoy the music, the sun, the vibe. Experience freedom. That's what is important.
Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?
STORMERS. They truly ruin the experience for masqueraders and don't see any fault in their actions.
If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?
I would definitely want to play mas with Alison Hinds. She just seems like she would be super fun to be on the road with.
Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?



I definitely think that there is a preference to certain body types. It's showcased by whom is selected to model in the band launches, etc. Slimmer or curvy with flat stomach is definitely the go to that you see.
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
I love the #everyBODYplayahmas network. I think it is so important for women of all shapes, sizes, skin tones, etc. to see that mas is for them. Mas is for everyone. This network does an amazing job of showcasing all types of masqueraders which is a much needed representation. #everyBODYplayahmas showcases those that typically get under represented and I think that is so needed for the culture. Please keep up the the amazing work!
Tell us about your journey to becoming a confident woman:
My journey to becoming a confident woman is honestly still a work in progress. I weigh 234 pounds, I have eczema, stretch marks, cellulite; you name it, I probably have it. But it gets to a point where you have to change what you can't accept and accept what you can't change. I also think that comparison is the thief of joy. I had to really shift my focus on what I was lacking in compared to others, and focus on what God has given me and work with that. It's about loving who you are from the inside and letting that manifest outwards. It's also about putting yourself together in way that YOU feel comfortable and happy with. The relationship you have with yourself is so important, I learn this more and more everyday. At the end of the day, confidence comes with self-love.
Do you have any mentors/role models who have inspired you along the way?
My mom. She is the most confident woman I know. She always puts herself together beautifully and carries herself with class and confidence.
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
I think #everyBODYplayahmas assists in helping women who maybe haven't played mas before who are scared, see that they can play mas no matter what they look like. It's not about a competition, it's about freely and happily experiencing the culture.
Instagram: @dejmorrison / Twitter: @dejmorrison -- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your