Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 07.01.19 | Ariana





Brief biography (profession, hobbies, passions, etc.): *
I am a person who is passionate about problem solving whether it be at work as an analyst or within my daily life. My dreams are to be able to travel around the world speaking to women about confidence and motivation.
How and when did you first start playing mas? *
I started playing mas when I was about 7 with my mom and cousins. Mas has always been a family event where my family would participate.
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
My favourite experience would be this years 2018 Toronto Carnival. I chose a costume that I loved and was out of my comfort zone. This was a personal goal of mine. When I put on the costume it felt liberating. I looked and felt good which made me feel very proud.
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
Carnival tights. I only started wearing tights for the past two years and now it's a must have. I find it makes a costume look complete. Also, being a lady whose thighs rub, tights make it much more comfortable. Less chaffing. I love them!!!
Describe your perfect mas experience:
Perfect mas experience is a beautiful sunny day with warm weather, good music, beautiful costume and great company (other masqueraders) all dancing to sweet soca music enjoying themselves. There is nothing like a bunch of people who don't know each other coming together for the love of our culture.
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
Mas is for everyone!!! All shapes, sizes, ages and races. Everyone can enjoy themselves. Join a band , purchase a beautiful costume and have fun!! It is an experience like no other. I always tell people once you try it, you'll love it!
Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?
The route, we use to go down lakeshore in Toronto which I believe was much better than the current route. We also have too many stormers who become agressive. People have paid their money to play mas.
If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?
Tallpree. My family is from Grenada and he has so many tunes that I love. He makes a lot of music about jab jab.
Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?


Yes
I think there is an unspoken size limit. A lot of the times there is not costume "options" available for larger sizes. People of larger size have to resort to bringing their own bras or buying their own stuff for their costumes. In essence it makes for a poor experience when choosing costumes. You may not be able to get the one you want due to your size.
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
My message is that Mas is for everyone. Although what is represented on social media/ internet may not be body size diverse you should not allow that to deter you. Be the one who represents for those who are under represented. What you may not know is you may inspire others to play Mas just by you playing because representation matters!
Tell us about your journey to becoming a confident woman:
I've always been a confident woman but I recently found by practising self love by putting myself first, my decisions first, my life first has propelled my confidence to higher levels. That includes not being afraid of failure , taking risks and actively fixing things I may deem as problems. Action has propelled my self confidence to higher levels. As I obtain my goals it fuels me to do or to try more because I believe in myself. It becomes infectious. I recommend everyone to start somewhere, try something and stick with it and notice how your confidence will rise.
Do you have any mentors/role models who have inspired you along the way?
No, I don't currently. For me this journey of self discovery was something I decided to do on my own. My mentor is God. I spend a lot of time meditating and praying. I feel like it was necessary to clear my mind to inspire and motivate myself.
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
Movements like everybodyplayahmas assists masquerades by providing representation of all sizes of people who play Mas. When people see people who are "like them" doing something it gives them the confidence and motivation that they can do it themselves. That is very important. It inspires others by the " I can do it too" attitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your