Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 10.06.19 | Rachie D









Brief biography (profession, hobbies, passions, etc.): *
HR administrator focusing on diversity and inclusion... I do plus size modelling and I also do a podcast... I enjoy making people feel good about themselves and I'm passionate about self love and showing the importance of inclusion.
How and when did you first start playing mas? *
2019 was my first time (as an adult)
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
I LOVED playing was and being on the road.. I felt absolutely beautiful and it was just such a fun and happy time. everything felt right for carnival Monday and Tuesday.
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
This was my first time playing Mas so I'm still kind of learning the ropes and MY personal must haves- but I'd say a GOOD pair of fish net stockings and a few face gems to give me that bit of extra sparkle.
Describe your perfect mas experience:
oh gosh! I'd love while playing mas to still able to see aspects of traditional carnival characters on the road. I feel like that's such a big part of it and I love all sides of carnival but I don't want the traditional parts to be lost... so THAT and less segregation - I think people are getting a bit lost in the sauce but thats a story on it's own.
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
carnival really IS for EVERYBODY and that's not just some bands... you can be however and play mas. in my opinion, that's the beautiful thing about carnival- you may feel a bit self conscious usually or very but when you are on that road and you see literally everyone jumping and waving...big panty or little tiny thong you just feel accepted and realise everyones just here to have a good time.
Your City: *
Trinidad / Liverpool
If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?
am I allowed to pick Calypso Rose? I adore her and she looks like a blastttt! idk if she'd be into it though soooo I'll go with Machel Montano. hopefully I could get a little rest on whatever truck he's on and wine on d truck. seems like a vibe!
Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?


I don't think there is but I think people give it to themselves. people get to a certain age and they're like "ohh I pass my time for that" ...
with size it's a bit different, I think while no matter what size there are people playing. I understand why people of a certain size may feel as though they shouldn't be playing mas. Plus sizes are very under represented in the carnival industry- band launches etc. which can lead to people feeling excluded.
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
you are the only you and you are absolutely beautiful! no-one can do you like you- believe THAT
Tell us about your journey to becoming a confident woman:
so many things throughout my life has made me the woman I am... since we are on the topic of carnival though. ONE thing in particular that has stood out to me and empowered me in some crazy way was seeing women just being themselves and expressing themselves whole heartedly when I was little and watching carnival on TV and only now I realise how much of a big deal it was for me... another thing was just really understanding me and seeing myself for who I am and learning to love and appreciate that person.
Do you have any mentors/role models who have inspired you along the way?
not really but there are lots of people that inspire me. I don't always know them personally and I may just meet them once or see them at a talk or something but I know that theres something about their energy and what they're doing that I like. I may have someone go IG that motivates me and just helps me a bit.. Maya Jama is deffo one of those people! but there are lot who have helped in many ways in my development.
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
as soon as I saw the page and hashtag I was ALL for it! Representation is sooo important and carnival bands aren't really helping as much as they could right now so this is fabulous.. showcasing that every BODY could play ah mas! I'm sure it'll help so many people and encourage people who were a bit anxious to put on a costume to know that it's fine.
IG - @fluttercup twitter - @flutts2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your