Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 16.09.19 | Tami




I work in the cosmetic industry so I see beauty in everything! I enjoy cooking, dancing, traveling and spending time with loved ones. I love makeup and absolutely love CARNIVAL❤️
How and when did you first start playing mas? *
I always wanted to play mas but I finally got the courage to play or the first time in Toronto for Caribana 2016.
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
My favorite carnival experience has to be TRINIDAD carnival. The vibes, energy and people are just unmatched. Everyone should at least experience Trinidad at least once.
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
My must have essentials for carnival are comfy tights. My thighs rub so tights are a MUST HAVE lol. Also comfy shoes are important, you spend 8 hours or more dancing and jumping up all day. So comfy sneakers are very essential. And lastly a cute fanny pack to carry all your small items such as lipstick, money and etc.
Describe your perfect mas experience:
My perfect mas experience would be nonstop vibes with me and my girls,great rum and music!
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
Mas is for everyone and anybody, there is no discrimination to playing mas. You do not have to be from the Caribbean or

Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?
I would want Carnival to be longer
If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?
I would play with Machel , his energy is amazing!
Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?
Yes most definitely, I think people assume that because they are a certain size or age they can’t play mas. But that’s not the case, mas can be played by anyone no matter your size or age.
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
I love how you guys display a variety of different masqueraders, especially full figured women. You guys are all about positive body image and that is very important in today’s society. Plus size women can put on a costume and just ROCK IT. I encourage you guys to keep up the good and keep on spreading the message that everybody can play Mas.
Tell us about your journey to becoming a confident woman:
My journey to become confident has been challenging. I’ve always been thick , but that has never stopped me from achieving my goals. But one day it just clicked, I was born this way so why not embrace it. I learned to love my curves and be happy with my overall appearance. I am not perfect but I love myself enough to have self confidence!
Do you have any mentors/role models who have inspired you along the way?
My role models are my mother and grandmothers. My mother is super strong and I admire her so much. My grannies (RIP) we’re both classy, hardworking and inspiring. Since I was young they taught me so many valuable lessons.They always reminded me that I was beautiful and I could achieve anything by working hard.
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
I believe #everyBODYplayahmas Is an amazing network for all women of all shapes, color and size. I think it gives full figured women the extra confidence to step out their comfort zone and embrace themselves. Carnival is not just for a size 2 it’s for EVERYBODY!
Instagram : @Tamizoe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your