Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 01.10.18 | Tamika












How and when did you first start playing mas? *I missed out on playing mas as a child. My mom's side of the family is Jamaican and my dad's side is Trinidadian (so IZA Trini lol)! My first time playing was in my early 20s. My supervisor, at the time, was also Trinidadian and told me that I would love it and that once I did it, I'd be hooked. I'd always know what it was but never played. AND BOYYYYYYYY was she right! 20 years later, I still play and have no intention of stopping anytime soon!


What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *Trinidad Carnival, hand down! Now remember, I didn't grow up in Trinidad, so the closest thing to carnival I knew was the West Indian Day Parade in NY (which is where I was raised). Working in the hospitality industry, the period around Trinidad Carnival was always busy for us in NY, so I was never able to take the proper time off to go. Fast forward to 2018...my two best friends and I (along with my Aunt and Uncle) made it our business to plan to go and DOH STICK!!! And that is what we did. We went for 10 days, went to the best fetes and lime down on "de Avenue". But Carnival Tuesday, as we (The Lost Tribe) were about to cross the stage, I got choked up with emotion. Tears of joy, excitement and a great sense of pride came over me and it was the happiest time of my life!!!


What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?SUNSCREEN Comfortable boots or sneakers WITH insoles Carnival stockings (pair Micles stockings with Carnivalista fishnets - WIN!) Chewing gum Lip gloss A great attitude! Negativity of any sort will dampen your experience! HAVE AH TIME AND PLAY AH MAS!!!


Describe your perfect mas experience:A PERFECT mas experience would have: Costumes ready and picked up in minimal time Costumes that look EXACTLY like what you paid for Makeup and/or MUA appointment included for the ladies Up-to-date app that always lets you track where your band is A mobile, air conditioned trailer that follows the band with charging stations and seats to relax for a few Foot and back massages Keepsake picture of each masquerader in their costume


What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?Mas is for EVERYONE! Short, tall, thick, skinny, curvy, Black, White, Asian, Indian...EVERYONE! You don't have to be West Indian or from the Caribbean to participate or enjoy it. It is a time for you to be free and have fun! No matter where you play mas, you meet people from all over the world...and there is always someone who is also experiencing it for the first time...so don't think that everyone is a carnival veteran! Costumes have become more inclusive to different shapes and sizes over the years...and will continue to do so. Make them your own, learn to be comfortable in your own skin and you will have no worries.


Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?New York's West Indian Day Parade should mimic Miami Carnival. Have a parade route (ex. Flatbush Avenue) that leads all the bands to an ending venue (ex. Floyd Bennett Field) where patrons pay a fee to see all the bands enter the venue and be judged. Said venue can then have a stage setup where artists come and perform throughout the day / night. Vendors can still register and showcase their foods or products (just as they do on Eastern Parkway).


If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?I would love to play mas with Denise Belfon. Saucy has always been a BADDDDDDDDD MAMMA JAMMA to me, and I admire her love for soca, mas and the culture. And she and alllllllll she thickness and vibes on the road...OH GOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!


Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?I don't think there is an age limit on playing mas, per se. But, the body shaming / size discussion has to stop! This is 2018! Women of ALL shapes, sizes and colors are beautiful! A woman should not be made to feel anything less than beautiful because of her size, particularly from some mas camps or designers. My thoughts: my mom and grandmother were just as thick, if not thicker than me and they instilled mas and the culture in us. If my mom wanted to play mas, almost every band would encourage her to do it because of her age and love of playing. "Yesssssss mums, come nah!" Queens of the Band are usually larger sized women. You wouldn't shame her because of her size and tell her no...so why shame anyone else?!?!


Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! YOU ARE UNIQUE! YOU ARE EXQUISITE! YOU ARE THE DEFINITION OF MAS!


Tell us about your journey to becoming a confident woman:To be honest, this is a journey I continue to take! But with prayer and positive reinforcement from family, friends and trusted advisers, I continue to boost my confidence more and more each day!.


Do you have any mentors/role models who have inspired you along the way?Mia Amber Davis was a famous plus-size model that, unfortunately, passed away about 7 years ago. She was instrumental in promoting great self-esteem and beautiful fashions for women of larger sizes. My grandmothers were both very strong women who always taught me to be gracious, graceful and love life!


How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?I love the feeling of inclusiveness that #everyBODYplayahmas promotes! You reinforce positive self esteem and self love. You are also sparking mas designers and bands to revisit and rethink their own ideals on mas and how their costumes can be more comfortable and flattering to a female's shape, without compromising the costume's look.







Facebook - Tamika Greaves Instagram - MsBrownSuga247

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee