Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 10.12.18 | Gabi












How and when did you first start playing mas? *
2016
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
Miami 2018
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
Crazy glue, shades, hand towel, makeup, rhinestones, battery charging pack and phone cord
Describe your perfect mas experience:
From the time I pick up my costume I would like distribution to start on time. When i get it I should be able to try it on (over clothes), switch out for smaller and larger items, and if need be adjustments or re-glue parts. The process should be fast and easy, I should be in and out. Communication for where to be should be emailed/texted. Not posted on social media. Carnival mas parade I would love to get to the stage sooner and more organized. I hated standing around waiting to go through the each checkpoint and couldn't move. By the time we got to the stage it was 8:40/9pm and carnival ended at 11pm. So after waiting for the bathroom and trying to get food that was only available after we crossed the stage it was 10pm. So I didn't get to experience the fete at the end like I did my first year. That was really disappointing. If we can't cross the stage sooner then I think carnival should end later like at 3am like all the other clubs in Miami close at.
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
First and foremost, you don't have to be Caribbean to play mas. I just recommend listening to a soca playlist to learn or at least recognize some of the songs that you'd hear while on di road. It's nice to be able to sing along. Secondly, mas is for any and everyBODY! I'm very conscious about my appearance and body on a regular basis, so when it comes to mas I'd say I'm probably even more conscious when picking a costume with my girls who are smaller than me. But come carnival day once I'm all dolled up with make up hair and I'm in my costume, NOBODY can tell me I'm not gonna be one of the baddest on di road. Carnival day were all out there just enjoying ourselves, living our best lives with little to no cares. There's no judgement! I actually recall thinking to myself while on di road this past weekend (MIA Carnival 2018) that it was great seeing everyone in their beautiful costumes taking selfies and group pictures, whining and having the best time possible.
Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?
Would like to cross the stage faster, so we the bands at the end of the line up arent on the road all day while the earlier bands can get food and have the chance to party with all the other bands and masquaraders.

Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?
I think most people think you have to have a the nicest body, no fat or rolls, no stretch marks, etc. That's not the case at all! We'd all love to look like walking talking Barbie dolls, but it's not necessary. My stretch marks ain't going no where so you'll see Dem and mi ass on di road. I can work out to get get rid of some body fat but if it's not gone by carnival "Oh well!". I still look like insta baddie and give plenty waist on di road! I've seen all ages of people playin mas on di road. I've danced with people of all ages, sex, race, ethnicity and etc.
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
If you ever wanted to play mas, but are scared or self conscious then don't be! There's plenty of costumes out there to help you look and feel more comfortable. You only live once! And once you put on your costume and set foot on di road you'll forget about any worries or concerns you had before.
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
When I was looking for costumes I looked for women who looked like me or were bigger than me, to see What type of costumes they wore and if options like a wire bra for the blessed in the chest crew was possible. So having a designated page/hash tag to look at definitely helped. Everybody ain't a size 10 or C/ D cup!
Instagram (hobby) : @gabbyfritz813
Instagram (personal): @gabbybear757 Twitter/SnapChat: @gabbybear757

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your