Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 21.10.2019 | Nefertiti










I am a full time entrepreneur, I run a social media/digital marketing agency and I love carnival. I am also a plus size wedding and fashion blogger.
How and when did you first start playing mas? *
I believe I was a few months old. My father put me in costume from birth.
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
Trinidad and Tobago 2019 with Tribe. First time in Trinidad. Before that was Miami carnival 2009 with Party Room Squad.
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
Makeup, liquor, comfortable sneakers/boots, stockings, confidence and somebody son to whine on. 😂
Describe your perfect mas experience:
Anything that includes a great DJ, vibes, carefree attitudes surrounding me, beautiful costumes, beautiful souls and non stop energy from beginning to end.
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
Being plus size will never mean you can’t be in costume and fierce. Carnival is for everyone and when I say NO ONE is worrying about that but you I mean it. It’s the best confidence booster to ever exist on the planet.
Your City: *
Boynton Beach
Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?
In Miami, it feels as though the bands don’t get the same creative energy for the larger women. It seems that they aren’t in touch with the plus size body(s) and it shows. More variety and options should be available for the pricing that they’re asking for these costumes.
If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?
Kes. His music every year is always perfect for the road and he seems like good vibes from start to finish.
Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?
When looking for my costume with certain bands, they stopped at a specific size. Trinidad (most bands) offers larger options for all their costumes but it can be a struggle if things aren’t given in the correct size upon collection.
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
Keep playing mas in whatever body that you have. I firmly believe the right costume coupled with the right attitude is all you need for the road! Don’t give up on carnival, the costume is out there!
Tell us about your journey to becoming a confident woman:
Some point after my first Miami carnival in 2004, I realized I was unnecessarily self conscious about my body. I literally wore a custom dress on the road and looked incredibly silly. Over the course of 14 years I got more and more confident and comfortable with my body. Seeing more women like me shut down carnival helped a great deal as well. I also started following Plus size bloggers for my regular everyday wear and suddenly realized embracing my body at whatever size it is in no matter what is essential for a stress free and happy life.
Do you have any mentors/role models who have inspired you along the way?
My mother is first. She doesn’t step out the house without looking her best at all times. My father is second because he instilled my love of carnival and never once told me my size would be a problem playing mas. Carl Montes of Party Room Squad is another. His work ethic and dedication to his costumes and craft is unmatched. I’ve worked with him for 15 years and I love that band and how he caters to everyBODY every year.
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
It helps women know they’re not alone. They can see examples of themselves on the road and won’t deprive themselves of this amazing experience because of their insecurities.
Please list any contact details you would like added to the post (ex. Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, SnapChat, Pinterest, etc) *
IG: @PlushBridal & @ThePlushMommy YouTube: The Plush Bride

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your