Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 02.12.2019 | Simone













Current grad student, avid carnival lover, and big time foodie (I have a food insta!)
How and when did you first start playing mas? *
Officially in a costume? In my early tween years in Nevis for Culturama.
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
Wow this is a tough one but I would say my most recent experience in New York for Labor Day. The parade turned into a wet fete and everyone went with it and enjoyed themselves. The vibes and energy was just so pure 🤗
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
Carnivalista tights! AN ABSOLUTE MUST! Additionally, definitely an emergency kit with a mini sewing kit, tampons/pad, a plastic shower cap (in case it becomes a wet fete), and spare money.
Describe your perfect mas experience:
A carefree, judgement free zone, embracing Caribbean culture!
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
Once you start playing mas, it becomes a habit that'll be hard to get rid of.
Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?
I would make the parade route a little longer.
If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?
Mr.Killa, his energy is everything
Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?


Young, old, thick, slim, mas is for whoever wants to embrace and indulge in the culture!
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
Be true selves, enjoy the culture!
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
Seeing other body types similar to yours allows for representation and for an individual to be able to see themselves playing mas!
Please list any contact details you would like added to the post (ex. Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, SnapChat, Pinterest, etc) *
@simsimmaeatstheworld & @icegreenandgold
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your