Skip to main content

Masquerader Monday - 30.12.2019 | Kristen






I am the owner and operator of a natural hair salon that specializes in Sisterlocks, named Krown and Glory. I am a mother of 3 amazing kids. And a carnival addict with no known Caribbean root but I still love to play mas with my plain ol' American self.
How and when did you first start playing mas? *
I started playing mas 3 years ago in 2017. A few of my clients are West Indian and they were educating me on the whole play mas process. As you can imagine, I was nervous but excited all the same. I then joined a local band named Island Oasis and that was the start of my carnival addiction. It was the prettiest, most fun and hardest workout I had ever done. And I just wanted to do it all over again and again.
What carnival experience has been your favourite (and most proud) to date? *
It's hard to say my favorite carnival experience because they were all amazing. But I would have to pick between 2. Bahamas in May 2019 and the more recent Miami Carnival in October 2019. Bahamas was like a marathon, 13 miles of constant whining and I lasted the whole parade. Miami was amazing bc my costume had so much of my favorite colors goldS and pinks that I was just in heaven.
What are some of your must-have carnival essentials?
My carnival must have is Glitter! I put it on my eyes, lips, body. I just love glitter and jewels. Good tights are essential, they help stop the chub rub and keep your legs looking sexy all day. Another must have is Pasties. I do a lot of jumping on the road and no one has time for wardrobe malfunctions. And my final must have is a small fanny pack or crossbody bag to hold your phone, ID and gloss.
Describe your perfect mas experience:
A perfect mas experience is one where the costume fits perfectly with no alterations or adjustments needed. Often as a plus size masquerader we have struggle wit standard size outfits. Another thing that would make perfect experience is music on the road that keeps the vibes high and just makes your soul dance. And having a band that provides good spirits is perfect as well.
What would you like to tell people about mas, that they may not know?
I would like people to know that playing mas is NOT an opportunity for women to be naked in the streets and grinding everywhere. It is a celebration for life. Showcasing our beautiful bodies dripped in jewels and things to demonstrate self love and appreciation no matter how big or small those bodies may be. The grinding is just a direct result of the soca moving your waistline. It's uncontrollable! *smile*

Would you change anything about playing mas in your city?
I wish our carnival parade was a little longer but I still have a great time either way.
If you could play mas with one soca artist, who would it be, and why?
I would play mas with Destra. I feel like her song Lucy was created just for me and captures the very essence of how I felt when I first played mas.
Do you think there is currently an unspoken age or size limit on playing mas?
Whenever I play mas, I see all sizes but typically on the advertisement they only show the smaller body women. I think we need more real size women in the advertisements and social media campaigns.
Do you have a message of encouragement for the #everyBODYplayahmas network? *
You only get one life and this one body. Don't delay playing mas or living your best life just because you don't have the body you desire right now. Love who you are, right where you are and watch others around you accept you for being authentically you. You are enough!
Tell us about your journey to becoming a confident woman:
I was often the tallest and most curvaceous in the room. I was teased as a child for having hazel eyes that would often change colors and for a big part of my childhood I hated them. However, my mother would often tell me how I come from a long line of amazing women with all size, eye colors and body types and our beauty is undeniable. Everyone is unique in their beauty and it's ok to be different. The older I got and the more life experiences I gained, the more I began to value myself.
Do you have any mentors/role models who have inspired you along the way?
My late mother was my greatest role model. She taught me to live life fearlessly and free without judgment.
How do you think movements like #everyBODYplayahmas assist masqueraders?
It is a bold, in your face platform that showcases the beauty of all size women, which are often hidden in mainstream. It allows those who don't know the reality of carnival to witness who really plays mas out in the streets. Its not just the fit, slim chicks. The fluffy gyals are winning!
Instagram: @misskrisj Business: @krownandglory1
Facebook: Krown and Glory

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My experience as the Face of the Festival for Toronto Carnival 2019

    I  have been attending Caribbean carnivals since a child, and each and every experience is unique and special in its own way. From Trinidad to Jamaica, and Atlanta to Washington, each carnival has its own flavour, its own style, and its own vibe. Born and raised in Toronto, Canada, I can’t help but have an appreciation for our carnival and feel a personal responsibility for its execution and the enjoyment of everyone. Whether through volunteering, participating, or helping administrators and costume makers along the way I have always tried to have my hand in the production of Toronto’s carnival. This year, as the Face of the Festival (along with Joel “The Connector” Davis), I was blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to officially represent the carnival in public and in mass media, and the honour was everything I could have asked for, as a support of our hometown festival. It all began with my application for the Face of the Festival competition, where I expressed my

Carnival is for #everyBODY!

#everyBODYplayahmas is a body positive movement that showcases diversity in Caribbean carnivals. The body positivity movement is a social movement that seeks to promote acceptance and appreciation of all body types and sizes. The movement emphasizes the importance of self-love, self-care, and self-acceptance, regardless of physical appearance. In the context of Caribbean carnivals, which are vibrant celebrations of Caribbean culture and heritage, the body positivity movement can play an important role in promoting diversity and inclusivity. Caribbean carnivals are known for their colorful costumes, lively music, and energetic dancing, but they can also be a source of body shaming and exclusion for those who do not conform to traditional beauty standards. To showcase diversity in Caribbean carnivals, the body positivity movement can encourage people of all shapes, sizes, and backgrounds to participate in the festivities. This can be done by creating inclusive spaces where people can fee

Masquerader Monday - 25.11.2019 | Shaquoia

I was born in Brooklyn New York 24 years ago and moved to Atlanta when I was 10 . My mother is from North Carolina and my dad is from Trinidad and Tabago . I'm a soca and afrobeat fanatic who loves to dance and sing EVERYWHERE and doesn’t care who is watching. Currently I work in the medical field as my 9-5 but I’m pursuing my dream in opening my store “Curved Essence” catered to providing trendy Affordable plus size clothing for all our lovely shapes . How and when did you first start playing mas?  * I started playing Mas in 2016 . I’ve always enjoyed watching people chip on the road to soca music adorned in the most beautiful bright colored costumes and feathers . There’s this electric feeling in the air of freedom and joy . No one cares who is watching they are honestly having the time of there lives . So I gathered my closest friends and hit the road , and since then I’ve played almost every year ! What carnival experience has been your